That brand new bed feeling…
Super A-Mart Arya Queen Bed | Ecosa Mattress | KMart Bedside Tables, Doona Cover and Pillows
I can’t remember the last time I was so excited to go to sleep in my own bed.
It sounds rather sad doesn’t it? True story though. Since I moved out of a home I was sharing with an ex boyfriend, I have been living in limbo, moving from furnished home to furnished home (and not-so-great supplied bed to not-so-great supplied bed). Finally, after a good 2 years of moving around trying to find the right fit for me, I have found a home I am happy and comfortable in – a beautiful, modern, unfurnished, 3×2 townhouse, about a 7 minute bus ride from the CBD. After living in furnished homes for so long, moving into an unfurnished home was quite problematic, and needless to say, I am still in the process of furnishing the home in it’s entirety. One thing I can now tick off the ‘to furnish’ list is my bedroom. After years of not being able to comfortably call my bed ‘my bed’, I have myself a beautiful new frame and comfortable mattress, and my bedroom is feeling cosy once again.
With cute little bedside tables at the ready (thanks for the Christmas presents Tristan!), the process of picking a bed and mattress was quite an easy one – pick something to suit the bedside tables, that won’t look out of place in any household I move to, that provides me with enough support and comfort, and that I can damn well get into my bedroom by myself (#independentwoman). Without my own means of transporting a large frame or mattress to my 2 storey abode, pieces with a delivery option and easily manoeuvrable components became all that more attractive to me. Needless to say, the Ecosa mattress that was delivered to my doorstep (in a little box with wheels and a handle, none the less), and the speedy flat pack delivery from Super A-Mart were weighted quite heavily in my decision making process.
Ease of delivery and installation meant my new, cosy bed, was up the stairs, set up (by me, myself and I) and ready for bedtime in just under 1.5 hours (p.s. check out the video at the end of this post to see how simple it really was. Don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube channel too!). For the first time in a very long time, I am actually excited to go to sleep in my very own bed!
In the spirit of all things ‘sleep’, I thought I would share with you some of my top tips to getting a good night sleep (aside from ‘buying a new memory foam and latex mattress’)…
- get at least an hour of screen free time before calling it a night. The bright light is a stimulant and keeps your brain active past when you decide to turn it off. Try reading a book, writing in a diary or writing a to do list for the next day before you decide to sleep.
- Make sure you go to the bathroom before heading to bed. There is nothing worse than being woken up by a full bladder at 3.30am in the morning!
- Be sure to cover all of the luminescent parts of your electronics before retiring. That flashing LED light on your phone will annoy you for hours if you don’t hide it…
- Make sure you have an adequate amount of bedding to keep you warm. Waking in the middle of the night shivering is so unpleasant! Similarly, nobody wants to toss and turn all night trying to keep cool… get yourself a fan or a portable air conditioner!
- Limit your intake of caffeine and alcohol post 5.00pm. We all know caffeine is a stimulant (that affects everyone differently), so we won’t go into that one too much. Alcohol and caffeine both cause dehydration, and dehydrating your body before bed time means you will wake up thirsty and looking for a drink.