There are pros and cons to everything, even being your own boss…
Valley Eyewear specs | Scarf from Ebay | Asha the Label top | Refuge jeans | Nine West heels
SHOP THE LOOK AT THE END OF THE POST
Photos: Ryan Ammon
Being self employed is a goal for many, but what is it really like?
Let’s take a light hearted look at what working for yourself really means, shall we?
- One week cashflow is out of this world so you treat yourself and your man to a lovely date night; the next you are doing long division in Coles, trying to work out which toilet paper is the most value for money.
- Determining whether or not something is tax deductible also determines whether or not you actually purchase it. More often than not, if it isn’t a business purchase, it won’t happen.
- You pretty much get your pick of appointment times when you have more than just the weekend to see the hairdresser/doctor/dentist. Ain’t nobody queuing to see the dentist at 10.00am on a Tuesday morning!
- The true meaning of work-life balance becomes apparent when you successfully juggle a business phone call, hanging the washing and a little bit of time in the sun all at once.
- There is no such thing as a weekday or weekend anymore – they all moosh into one when you work through the weekends and go to breakfast during the week. For the record, I am 100% ok with this arrangement because I don’t ever have to wait for a table at my favourite cafes.
- It is a real struggle to get dressed for the day, especially when it is cold and rainy. Plus, nobody knows if you are emailing them in a full face of makeup and frock, or in your knickers from bed… so the effort seems lost sometimes!
- Finding a new lead is as exciting as ‘bubblegum’ ice cream is to a 5 year old. Read: your reaction is to jump up and down squealing in excitement.
- You find yourself singing to your food and talking like a crazy woman… working alone can be very isolating!
- There is nobody to pick up your slack. If you don’t do it for your own business, it won’t get done.
- You don’t know when to call it quits. With no set hours for the day, you can end up working at ridiculous hours just because you have something on your mind.
What do you like the most about your work arrangement? There are a lot of things that I miss about being an employee, but there are a lot of things that I don’t want to give up from self employment!